Are you looking for a new recipe to try? Traybakes are very easy to make and this one is perfect for chocoholics!
For the cake you will need:
300g dark chocolate (supermarket own-brand is fine)
250g unsalted butter
200g plain flour
30g cocoa powder
250g light brown sugar
250g golden caster sugar
4 medium eggs
2 tsp coffee granules
100g Horlicks or Ovaltine powder
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
150g boiling water
For the topping you will need:
200g unsalted butter (room temp)
400g icing sugar
1 box of Maltesers
75g Horlicks or Ovaltine powder
2-4 tbsp boiling water
For the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 160C/140C Fan. Line a 9×13 inch tin.
- Melt the dark chocolate and butter in the microwave or in a bowl over a pan of boiling water.
- In a separate bowl, mix your Horlicks powder with 150g of boiling water and coffee granules. Mix well with a whisk.
- Add your Horlicks mixture to your chocolate and butter mix. Whisk until smooth.
- In a large bowl, whisk the plain flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, light brown sugar and golden caster sugar.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the eggs and buttermilk until smooth.
- Now it’s time to fold everything together. Pour the chocolate mixture into the large bowl. Then pour in the butter milk mixture. Fold until everything is combined. Use a large spoon or spatula to do this.
- Pour into tin and bake for 50 – 60 minutes. Allow to cool fully.
For the decoration:
- Beat your butter with an electric whisk. Add in your icing sugar. Continue to beat for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add in your Horlicks powder and the water.
- Use a knife to spread over your cake and then add the Maltesers for decoration.